How You Can Help
Providing Ongoing Patient Support
Supporting your loved one during a hospital stay is a compassionate way to show you care, and can make an impact on his or her recovery. How can you help? Start by learning as much as you can about your loved one’s condition and options for treatment. This will help you provide the kind of support and care.
Other Ways to Offer Support
- Work with your loved one to prepare a hospital stay checklist. Offer to pack for them.
- Plan your route to the hospital so you can arrive on time.
- Decorate the hospital room with small personal items from home, such as family photos.
- Learn the names of medical staff members and communicate with them often.
- Together, prepare a list of approved visitors ahead of time.
- Make a checklist of tasks that need to happen after discharge:
- Fill any post-surgery prescriptions.
- Keep track of medications and when to take them.
- Stock the house with healthy foods and beverages.
- Decide who will manage tasks once the patient is ready to leave:
- Who will drive the patient home?
- Who will take care of children or pets?
- Who will prepare meals, clean the house or do laundry?
Hi-Desert Medical Center has a patient representative who can help you with questions, problems, concerns or suggestions: Call (760) 366-6428.